Monday, July 13, 2009

The Church

God has really been teaching me about his church, it’s purpose and it’s people, through his word (2 timothy 3:16), unbeknown to me of course. I am quite dense when it comes to understanding the word, but 1 John 2:27 tells me that I do not require teaching, but God himself will teach me (us) all things.


So anyways, the story is that I became interested in (well if you read my last post you’ll see that I mentioned this) 1 Corinthians 1:17-19, seeing that I should make my focus the gospel, and not any other theology or aspect of God. I like listening to M Driscoll when I get the chance (even though I disagree with him on some readings of the word – he confesses Christ’s death and resurrection 1 john 4:1-2) to see what he thinks on different matters, so I found a sermon of his on 1 Corinthians. I have since been listening to his series on the church in Corinth, and at the same time it has been brought to my attention from others (in the body of Christ) readings from the word on what and who the church is.


I see that the church is to be unified in thought, of the same mind (1 Cor 1:10). We are here to encourage each other closer to Christ (1 The 5:11). I had never considered before that the people who are in Christ and understand his justification, my brothers and sisters, should be of one mind. I have never thought of sharing the word of Christ was anything other than trying to bring someone to the Lord. But it’s not! It’s that and more.


The word of Christ is a reasoned explanation of God’s connection to us!

  • It’s an encouragement to those who believe on Christ.
  • It separates those who do not believe on Christ from those who do.
  • It tells of people who have walked this earth before.
  • It tells of what is to come.
  • It is exclusive and inclusive.
  • The word of the bible is for all people’s salvation!

To follow God’s word is to please God. It gives us the opportunity to not shrink away in shame at Christ 2nd coming (1 John 1:28). It gives us peace in time of trouble and in times of joy. It keeps us on our feet and lifts us up with Christ (both to heaven and to sacrifice)!


We are not to give up on each other (Hebrews 10:25), but we are to be of one mind. There can be disagreement in the church, but it must be resolved by the word of Christ. There is no private interpretation of the word (2 peter 1:20).


Thank God that he sent his only son that we might be saved from our sins (Eph 2:8). Thank God that he has given us a new spirit (romans 8:13) that we might be changed from our sinful ways! I say thank God that he gives me a heart for the poor, the widowed, the hurt, the tired, those without hope, those who are lonely, those who are hungry, those who need a ride, those who are frustrated with life, people without peace, people craving more from life, and anyone with whom I may come in contact!


Praise be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment